Rising at the heart of the fertile plain enclosed between the Adige river and the Euganean Hills, Montagnana was funded in the Roman age to defend the river that washed it before 589 CE, the year when a devastating flood south of Verona diverted its course further south. Already a Lombard chief town, in the 11th century the settlement passed under the rule of the Este House that made of it an important fortified village, then conquered by the Ezzelini family and later by the da Carrara family, the Lords of Padua (1260), before the town was finally subdued to the Republic of Venice, in 1405.
Past the military fortification one enters the heart of the medieval village: via Carrarese is dotted by noteworthy buildings with arcades built in the 15-16th centuries, and it takes to the Cathedral of gothic-Renaissance style that was re-built over the preceding Romanesque church. Its construction started in 1431 to end in 1502. Its portal is allegedly by Sansovino and it takes to the interior rich with many works of art, with altar pieces and frescoes made by the Vicenza painter Giovanni Buonconsiglio in the first 1500s, and with a "Transfiguration" by Veronese (1555).Among the civil buildings a mention is worth of villa Pisani, immediately outside the circle of walls, built in 1553-1555 upon a design by Palladio; the façade of this cubic building is stirred by a two-order portico with semi-columns, a timpanum and an elegant ashlar frieze serving as a string-course.
Tourist Information: +39 0429 81320 - firstname.lastname@example.org
Official web site of Comune di Montagnana: www.comune.montagnana.pd.it